Nov 7, 2005

Bangalore dreams

To my mind, one of the most endearing (and enduring, perhaps) qualities of Bangalore and Bangaloreans is our perception of ourselves and our city as being laid back and intellectual.

With all the time in the world to get into intense philosophical and political debate at park benches and coffee houses. That the only reason we're not there right now but instead navigating through gridlock and a corporate career is a mere temporary, personal setback; and that soon, we will have earned enough to retire just rich enough to go back to that - sipping gently cooling cups of coffee contemplating the ever flattening world ...

The reality is that the city is moving so fast that each generation of Bangaloreans has a vision of the city different from not just their parents, but even their elder siblings. The city is changing, developing at a break-neck pace. So of course each new generation thinks they discovered Bangalore all by themselves, created it even.

What makes Bangalore special is that all these historic aspects of the city are vibrant and dynamic parts of the city still, not silent monuments.

The original little trading hamlets of Kempe Gowda's time - Balepet, Cottonpet and Chickpet - are still the places to go for the best deals. The palaces and parks of Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan like Lal Bagh are still favoured family picnic spots. The Cantonement is in use by the Indian Army, while other colonial era buildings like St Mark's Cathedral are very much in use.

Banglaore has been a generous and welcoming host to such a diverse range of people, most of us succumb to her charm and call ourselves Bangalorean, regardless of where we lived before.

8 comments:

  1. bangalore i love
    but I despair for it when I hear of the policing, and sometimes when I see that the roads are insanely bad and the water/elec problem is snowballing
    but i love bangalore:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my granny talks about how they'd go horse riding through the wild brush area that's now MG road... and how only fools and dacoits setting up a hide-out would venture through indira nagar...

    my point is every generation has its own version of how things are falling apart, read changing. but we all are still there, even if only to touch base off and on. and the old haunts are still there, albeit in a setting that's now quite, quite different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i suppose thats true of any city, any community space- that it changes, and not always to everyone's liking.
    But some things can't help but make you feel bad, no? Like that latest moral policing b**shit. I can't bear it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. akr,
    I so totally agree about moral policing to-do these days. and there were the moral policing dramas back in my 'good-old-days' too -

    a) Afternoon discos, our summer vacation mainstay post class 10 and 11 were shut down to save corrupt youth, namely, us. Four Princes, i think it was called. on MG Rd opposite Sapphire. I think the place is a Reebok store now. Like that made anyone stay home and... study instead!

    b) The 11:30pm shut down rule came down hard 2nd yr college. I remember all of us at Pecos, table groaning under the weight of as many full pitchers we could afford to buy before last order call. we partied on behind its closed shutters. and snuck out the back way at the usual (way past mid-night) time.

    I'm sure (hoping aganst hope) today's Bangaloreans too shall find ways...

    It's our city! Don't tell us how to live in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't say I'm a Bangalorean. Yet, I do love Bangalore. I still associate it to a laid back life. But with an outsider's view comes a bit of despair for the Bangalore vs Rest of the World attitude. I'm not asaying more about that. I love Bangalore anyway. My own way and from my own POV. The beef rolls at 10 bucks each (Coles Rd, after 6 in the evening only!)Wandering aimlessly around MG road, hand in hand with N. Berry's Hotel (yeah, yeah) and magically, finding parking space every time I went to Brigade Road.

    I love not needing air conditioning.

    Most of all, I love Bangalore for N and all the romance it has given me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. but mouli, do tell, vs. rest of the world?? whaaa?

    ReplyDelete

Unedited thoughts?